Rules of Conduct
Chisago County Board of Commissioners
Rules of Conduct For Chisago County Board Meetings for 2020
The purpose of these rules is to set a standard of conduct and to guide the Board and the citizens we serve in the processing of the meeting's agenda.
Rules of Conduct
All attendees of County Board meetings are subject to these rules of conduct under the authority of the Board, as expressed in Minnesota Statutes and/or Roberts Rules of Order, as modified by local practice.
The Chair of the Board conducts the meeting and exercises authority to:
- prepare a draft agenda and related materials ahead of time, with the assistance of County staff; and
- assure compliance with the meeting's agenda; and
- facilitate fair and equitable treatment of Board Members, citizens and staff; and
- ensure orderly conduct by all present.
Votes of the board may be taken by voice vote or by ballot.
- Each commissioner shall vote with an audible voice vote, whether "yes", "no" or "abstain."
- If the chair is uncertain as to how a member has voted, he or she may require a roll call vote.
- A chair may also require a roll call vote on any matter in which he or she determines it would be helpful to the conducting of business.
- Once cast, the vote of each commissioner shall be recorded in the official minutes of the Board.
- A chair may require a vote by ballot on any issue in which he or she determines it would be helpful to the conducting of business.
- Commissioners shall designate their vote, "yes," or "no," or "abstain."
- The votes shall be collected and read aloud by the Clerk to the Board, identifying each vote, by whom it was cast and the vote that was intended.
- The vote of each commissioner shall be recorded in the official minutes of the Board.
Board Members must treat everyone with respect and dignity and in a friendly manner. Failure to comply will result in:
- Being ruled out of order; or
- Being asked to leave the meeting; or
- If necessary, being removed from the meeting.
Citizens are invited to participate in the meeting by:
- Observing the proceedings through attendance in the Board Room.
- Offering comments and observations during the Citizen's Forum portion of meetings.
- Viewing the proceedings via cable television or other electronic means, if available.
- When called for through public notice, offering comments during public hearings on specific topics or proposals.
Citizen's Forum portions of Board meetings shall be subject to the following conditions:
- Comments and observations shall be directed to the Board as a whole, and not to individual Commissioners or the audience.
- Speakers shall register their names in the meeting's log book prior to the beginning of the Citizen's Forum.
- Speakers may also register their addresses and telephone numbers in such book.
- Speakers are advised that once given, their addresses and telephone numbers are public information.
- Such comments and observations shall be limited to three (3) minutes.
- Board meeting agendas shall contain the following statement:
- "The Citizen's Forum is provided so citizens may make a comment, statement, question or proposal.
- Comments, statements, questions or proposals shall be directed to the Board as a whole, and not to individual Commissioners or the audience.
- Speakers will be limited to three (3) minutes and are asked to conduct themselves in a professional, courteous manner, and refrain from the use of profanity.
- Failure to abide by this policy may result in the loss of one's privilege to speak that night".
Electronic recording devices should not disrupt the conduct of the meeting or interfere with the ability of others to observe the meeting due to the height or size, based upon standing more than 3 feet off the floor and/or larger than 4" x 6" x 2" in size. All video recording devices will be in the back corners of the public seating areas.
These rules may be modified by the Chisago County Board of Commissioners upon majority vote at any regular or special Board meeting.
Adopted: January 7, 2020
George McMahon, Chair
Clerk, County Board