The Minnesota Department of Health, Minnesota Well Index website shows the location of wells throughout Minnesota, including Chisago County. The Minnesota Well Index shows the location of known wells and information specific to each well, including the well ID number, name if known, elevation, aquifer name, and depth of the well.
Chisago County, in partnership with the Minnesota Geologic Survey, has developed a Geologic Atlas – a series of maps showing our county's geology, and our mineral and ground water resources.
Information from the geologic atlas is commonly used in planning and environmental protection programs, as an educational resource, and by industries involved in water and mineral resources. It represents a comprehensive, detailed illustration of the layers of rock, sand and clay between the surface of the ground and the bedrock below. The distribution and character of these layers determine how and where water enters the earth, and where it is stored in aquifers that can supply our needs. Geologic Atlas maps show how water flows underground and can relate land use to water quality.
The Geologic Atlas is useful to those who wish to learn more about the geology of Chisago County. It's a 1 stop, comprehensive collection of geologic information that is useful to anyone with an interest in earth science of Chisago County.
Part A of the Geologic Atlas is complete. Part A includes the basic geology of Chisago County. Part B, the hydrogeologic atlas, is also complete and shows aquifers, ground water resources, and sensitivity to pollution.
The following is a list of plates (maps) in the Chisago County Geologic Atlas: Part A:
- Data-Base Map (PDF) shows the locations of water wells, drill holes and outcrops that were used in the construction of the geologic atlas.
- Bedrock Geology Map (PDF) shows the types of bedrock that are likely to be encountered in Chisago County.
- Surficial Geology Map (PDF) shows the geologic materials that lie immediately beneath the soil or at the land surface.
- Quaternary Stratigraphy Plate (PDF) shows the distribution of unconsolidated sediment deposited by glacial activity in cross-sectional views.
- Sand Distribution Model (PDF) maps show the location and extent of sand bodies mapped in the subsurface as they would be seen from above.
- Precambrian Bedrock Geology map shows a more regional picture of the Precambrian bedrock underlying the Paleozoic bedrock shown on map 2.
- Bedrock Topography and Depth to Bedrock Maps (PDF) show the elevation and shape of the bedrock surface, and the depth to bedrock.
- Hydrogeology of the Surficial Sand Aquifer Map (PDF) showing water table elevations, groundwater residence time, isotopic signature, and the location of aquifers that are replenished by precipitation or by surface water.
- Estimated Water-Table Elevation Map. (PDF)
- Quaternary and Bedrock Aquifer Hydrogeology Map (PDF) showing the surface elevation of aquifers.
- Hydrogeologic Cross Section Map (PDF) showing the horizontal and vertical extent of aquifers and aquitards.
- Cross Section Supplement (PDF) assisting with the visualization of aquifer units and the depiction of hydrogeologic cross section line locations and aquifer test locations.
- Pollution Sensitivity of the Near-Surface Materials Map (PDF) showing the bedrock surface and the locations of buried sand and gravel aquifers that are sensitive to pollution.