Water Resource & Environmental Education
Chisago County Children's Virtual Water Festival - Thursday, May 20, 2021
Welcome to the Chisago County Children’s Virtual Water Festival! Our in person Water Festival for all Chisago County fifth graders had to be cancelled last year due to COVID-19. Our mission is to show how water relates to all living things. Our theme this year is “Clean Water is Life.” Our goal is to show how our actions in Chisago County can directly affect the quality of our lakes and rivers.
The festival Planning Committee has found 30 learning videos and activities that are divided into five water categories: Aquatic Invasive Species, Water and Wildlife, Watersheds, Water Quality and Weather. The presentations and activities focus on weather, frogs and toads, the water cycle, aquatic invasive species, watersheds, drinking water, water pollution, and lakes and rivers.
Each presentation or activity is summarized in an Information Sheet in the list below. You can watch the presentation video, or do an activity or lesson. You can view one, two or all of the presentations that are part of each category. If you want to dig deeper, you can look at the Other Resources category and find more water resources to explore.
We hope you enjoy the presentations and activities!
AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES
WATER AND WILDLIFE
- Water Quality - Our Groundwater Connection - AnokaSWCD 5-20-21
- Water Quality - Our Groundwater Connection Contamination - AnokaSWCD 5-20-21
- Water Quality - Hold the Salt to Protect MN Water - WCD 5-20-21
- Water Quality - How Groundwater Moves - MDA 5-20-21
- Water Quality - How Contaminants Move - MDA 5-20-21
- Water Quality - Studying Stream Health - Trout Unlimited 5-20-21
- Water Quality - Wonderful World of Macroinvertebrates - DNR 5-20-21
- Water Quality - Collecting Macroinvertebrates - DNR 5-20-21
- Water Quality - Mayflies and Dragonflys - DNR 5-20-21
Chisago CountyChisago County staff provides outreach education and communicates with residents on a variety of water resource topics ranging from educating students at the Chisago County Children’s Water Festival to promoting using the Hook, Line and Sinker collection stations at public water accesses. Visit the links below for more information on water resource education topics.
Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement DistrictOne of the goals of the Lake Improvement District is to promote environmental education, awareness and stewardship within the Chisago Lakes Watershed. Every resident lives in a watershed.
Whether knowingly or not, every resident of the Lake Improvement District and Chisago County may contribute to water pollution through everyday activities such as fertilizing farm fields, throwing litter down storm drains, or not cleaning up after pets. The resulting stormwater runoff from the surrounding watershed is one of the greatest threats to the lakes. Watershed education and stewardship is an important tool for protecting and restoring urban, rural, and agricultural watersheds.
- Chisago County - Children's Water Festival (PDF)
- Chisago County - Water Resources Facebook Page (PDF)
- Chisago Lakes LID - Public Outreach and Awareness (PDF)
- Chisago Lakes LID - Hook, Line and Sinker Recycling Program (PDF)
- LID and Chisago Lakes Watershed Factsheet (PDF)
- Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Thin Ice Brochure (PDF)
- DNR Water Use Habits (PDF)
- Watershed Hero Brochure (PDF)