Extension Committee (University of MN)
Welcome to the University of Minnesota Extension Service. We look forward to partnering with you to provide educational resources to address local issues. Meetings are held
- 7:00 p.m.
- 2022 Meeting Dates:
- February 10, 2022
- May 12, 2022
- August 11, 2022
- November 10, 2022
- Extension Outreach Office
38814 3rd Avenue
North Branch, MN, 55056
The Minnesota State Legislature established County Extension Committees (CEC) in 1923. State statute mandates each county must have an Extension Committee with the following composition: 2 county commissioners, 6 county residents selected by the County Board, and the County Auditor or their designee.
Members serve 3 year terms and may be reappointed. However, many CEC’s have ruled that no member can serve more than 2 consecutive terms. Committee members elect their own chair and vice-chair, both serving 1 year terms. The County Auditor serves as secretary.
|Jennifer Penzenstadler||District 1||Term: 01/05/2021 to 01/05/2024|
|Jeske Noodergraaf||District 2||Term: 01/04/2022 to 01/04/2025|
|Nancy Moe-Mergens||District 3||Term: 01/05/2021 to 01/05/2024|
|Charles Yeager||District 4||Term: 01/04/2022 to 01/02/2025|
|Brian Sandel||District 5||Term: 01/04/2022 - 01/02/2025|
The CEC has 3 major areas of responsibility, as defined by the state statute:
- Program development and evaluation:
- The committee develops an annual program of work in cooperation with the U of Minnesota Extension Service.
- Assist in identifying county needs and matching or empowering county or regional staff in meeting those needs through education programming.
- The committee members often service on the search and interview committees to recommend suitable, qualified persons for Extension Educator positions to the Extension dean and director of Extension.
- By state statute, Extension Educators are U of Minnesota employees.
- The committee also provides yearly input to the Extension Director or supervisor regarding Extension Educator performance in development and delivery of the identified programs.
- Budget development:
- The committee, working with Extension, prepares an annual budget of funds needed for the maintenance, support, and expenses of the county’s Extension work and submits it to the County Board for approval.
Extension is an outreach arm of the University of Minnesota. Extension’s mission is "connecting community needs and University resources". Extension provides its research and education outreach in urban, suburban and rural communities through its partnership with the federal, state and county government in all 87 Minnesota counties through its 18 regional centers throughout the state.