Celebrating Earth Day has made a huge impact! It led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency, and some of our most important environmental laws being passed including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act.
We celebrate Earth Day to raise awareness about environmental issues and take action to protect the planet. It's a day to reﬂect on our impact on the Earth and commit to making positive changes in our daily lives.
In honor of Earth Day, April 22, the Chisago County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is giving away a FREE Home Composter to one lucky individual who completes the following steps:
- Go to the Chisago County Household Hazardous Waste and Recycling Facebook Page. Leave a comment under the contest post telling us ONE thing you are doing to conserve our natural resources and live more sustainably.
- "Like" our Facebook Page.
Entry deadline is Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. One name will be drawn on Tuesday, May 2, 2023 and winner will be announced on our Facebook Page, so check back!
Check out a few ways to take action for the planet At Home and At Work:
- Ride your bike or walk somewhere.
- Go on a nature hike.
- Plant something.
- Pick up litter in your community.
- Visit a local farmer's market this summer.
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Switch to paperless billing.
- Skip the receipt at the store.
- Use a refillable water bottle.
- Switch to non-toxic cleaning recipes or products.
- Sell or donate used items.
- Join an environmental organization.
- Start a compost bin.
- Use less chemicals.
- Don't waste food.
- Buy items that will last, stay away from single use.
- Buy/use only what you need!
- Power down computer and other devices when not in use.
- Commit to a reusable coffee cup.
- Add more recycling bins.
- Host a drive to collect E-waste.
- Use a recyclable water bottle.
- Plan a telecommute day.
- Use less paper. Print only what you need.
- Try to be paper free for the day.
- Raise money for a local environmental group.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers.
- Buy eco-friendly office supplies.
- Recycle old office furniture and equipment.
- Use recycled printing paper.
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products.
Follow the links below for more tips and actions to support a healthy planet: