Do you have everything you need for survival in the winter?
The snow has piled up and dangerous cold is on the way.
If you haven't made a winter survival kit, now is the time to get started.
You could either buy a pre-made kit or assemble a personalized kit.
If you choose to assemble you own, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety made a checklist just for you.
Make sure you have a kit with these items in your car. It's a good idea to keep your kit in the backseat, in case your trunk is frozen shut.
- Candles and matches
- A knife
- A red bandanna or cloth for signaling authorities
- Pencil and paper
- A whistle
- Snacks (such as raisins, hard candy, food bars)
- A cell phone charger
- Spare batteries - warm before using and reverse inside flashlight to avoid accidental switching and burnout
- Booster cables
- 30-foot cord for homing line if you exit the vehicle
- Basic tools
- Sand, kitty litter or other grit
- Tow cabins or chains
- Sleeping bag/blankets
- Road flares or reflectors
- Snow suit/ heavy boots
The ultimate winter survival tip? If you get stranded, stay in your car.
From KARE11 - Golden Valley, Minn
Author: Lydia Birt
Published: 5:25 AM CST January 28, 2019
Updated: 7:02 AM CST January 28, 2019